Sunday, February 14, 2010

Single Awareness Day

Although I am sure Single Awareness Day, also known as SAD, a humorous alternative for Valentine's Day has been around for awhile, I recently heard of it a couple years ago. By the way, I personally think the acronym is hilarious!




I was talking to someone today and I can completely understand why some of us "single people" can get bummed out on Valentine's Day but for years I've thought of it as an opportunity to take the emphasis off of myself and make someone else smile! I typically give my family members cards and some type of candy or gift on this day to remind them that they are special and loved. It is also a blessing to be able to show love to friends and coworkers who may have recently been through a breakup or some other type of hardship. Everyone needs love and it can make you just as happy (if not happier) to give love as it would to receive love! 




The scripture below is used very often during wedding ceremonies but it is also something to take into consideration as a single person.
"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres." - I Corinthians 13:4-7



I am working on showing others love through patience and humility. I plan to refer to this scripture as a way to show love to others not just today but all year long!




Resolve to think of Single Awareness Day as a day being single allows you to bless someone else and let them know they are loved. Happy Valentine's Day!

1 comment:

  1. I really like the Bible Verse! I'm glad you put it up as It reminded me to read the daily bread for today and this verse is from it!

    Who through faith . . . out of weakness were made strong. —Hebrews 11:33-34

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails